There are so many different treatments available, and some with quite different sounding names. I’m always getting asked more about what certain treatments are, or what could be better than something else so I’ve decided to describe a few on this blog.
The first treatment to focus on is Thermo-Auricular Therapy. Now what is this weird sounding treatment, I hear you say….
Thermo-Auricular® Therapy or ear candling is the professional use of Ear Candles, which are used to aid relaxation, relief of ear, nose & throat conditions and associated problems.
Ear candles are hollow tubes made from sheets of organic flax (linen), which are impregnated with a special formula that includes honey, chamomile, sage, St. John’s Wort, betacarotene and is coated in beeswax. Each of these elements has a beneficial and soothing effect on the ear, nose and throat. The candles have a small filter at one end too.
The candles work on a chimney principle and a gentle vibration of air, which gently draws out impurities and stimulates the circulation of blood and lymph. This has been shown to help to balance the pressure and fluid in the ears and head. At Calm and Clear we only use Biosun® candles. These are the best quality ear candles available, and have the CE mark (93/42-EEC) for medical devices in Europe.
A practitioner who has done a good, reputable course will have also received training in the use of an instrument called an otoscope. This is similar to what a doctor would use to check inside your ears, but the one practitioners use is not as powerful. The otoscope is vital for a practitioner to use prior to doing the treatment to ensure that there are no visible contraindications to the treatment itself, such as a perforated ear drum or infection. The otoscope also allows the practitioner to see what the general health of the ears is like.
At Calm and Clear Complementary Therapies, we always do a Vodder Manual lymph drainage face massage following the ear candles.
This treatment can be done as a stand alone treatment for 1 hour, or it can be linked with other therapies such as Reflexology, Facial Rejuvenation, Indian Head Massage and Holistic Facials.
Benefits of Thermo-Auricular® Therapy
Thermo-Auricular® Therapy is a Holistic therapy and has been know to be used to aid any of the following issues:
- Earwax problems
- General earache
- Sinusitis and catarrh
- Seasonal allergies – including hayfever and rhinitis
- Migraines and headaches
- Sore throats
- Hearing loss and blocked ears
- Blockages from swimming and air travel
- Irritation in the ears
- Glue ear
- Colds (if nose is not streaming)
- Vertigo and labrynthitis
Ear Candles cannot be used if:
- grommets or cochlea implants are currently in place
- there is a recent ear perforation. If the perforation is not recent then please contact us to discuss if this treatment will be of benefit to you.
- Recent ear surgery
- Auricular cysts
- Acute mastoiditis
- Ear Tumour
- Please do not use any oils or drops in the ears for at least 24 hours before coming for a treatment.
- Wait 24 hours after the commencement of any antibiotics before coming for a treatment.
- Please contact us if you have any other concerns or questions regarding the suitability of this treatment or if you have allergies.